Thursday, February 11, 2010

Winter Wonderland

There was quite a surprise outside this morning. Everything is covered with a few inches of snow. The first thing to do in this case is of course to run check the news to see if your local school district is closed. This will determine whether or not you call in to work. (Don’t act like you don’t do this!) Next, was the joyous occasion of letting Greta outside. She runs out on the porch then comes to a screeching halt when she realizes that something is different. Then she looks back at Will and I with shear panic in her eyes. “MY BONES!!” She then begins the scavenger hunt of running around the backyard dipping her nose in to the snow every few feet trying to find the nub of a bone she’d buried days earlier. With the trees and ground covered in such a beautiful and pure white, you can’t help but take in a deep breath of cool fresh air. And in that moment all the tragedy, death, despair and weight problems in the world are put on hold. Then a tiny choir in my head starts caroling and I can’t help but sing along.
“It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas; Soon the bells will start,
And the thing that will make them ring is the carol that you sing
Right within your heart.”
(Will refuses to let me put the Christmas tree out again….I still love him though)

It’s moments like this that make me realize that there are so many things that we take for granted on a daily basis. There are millions of people in this world that would give anything to have a job, a house, heat and dinner every night (I didn’t say a good dinner…just dinner). Not only do I have all these things, but I have so many wonderful family and friends to share it with. Today I remembered just how lucky I am!

I was going to talk today about Doc’s Chili that I made last night that was actually really good. We didn’t even dry heave! Then I was going to talk about riding the exercise bike yesterday and doing my mobility and body weight exercises that were easy but effective. Not today though…today I want to stay in the bliss of the snow and hold on to this as long as I can! (and maybe say a silent prayer that it ices over and I can’t make it to work tomorrow)

Quote of the day:
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams”
- Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment