Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lessons Learned

I’ve been absent from Blog World for a few days but don’t cry…I’m back. Today is Day 6 of the plan so I decided to share a few things I’ve learned thus far.

1. At the end of the day the most important thing is to realize that you deserve the gifts of good health, energy and happiness.
2. If you try to do too much too soon, you’re less likely to be able to finish the program.
3. The American Council on Exercise recommends 20-30 minutes of cardio 3-5 days a week and strength training at least twice a week.
4. Variety is the key to successful workouts to keep you from getting bored.
5. “The best exercise to do is the best exercise that you actually do”
6. Once you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated.

I tried a few new things with food and cooking this week. I made Doc’s chili based on the recipe provided in the book. Even though it’s filled with healthy items that I might not like separately, when put together they are actually quite delicious. Its one cup serving size is actually filling and doesn’t clog any arteries. I also poached a chicken for the very first time. It’s surprisingly easy and leaves the chicken breasts so tender and full of flavor. This will be a new staple to my cooking. Eating healthy isn’t the end of the world. If you close your eyes and think really hard, anything can taste like a double bacon cheeseburger with fries. A little imagination goes a long way.

“I realized I had a lot to live for.” Nicole Brewer from season 7 hit’s the nail on the head with that comment. We all have our moments that we question why we’re doing something. It’s important to surround yourself with people that constantly remind you that you’re worth it. I’m not only trying to make a change for myself, but for my future. I need to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle so that I can instill that in my (future) children. I don’t want them to ever struggle internally like I have.

Today is a day that makes couples take a step back and be thankful for the love and companionship that has been given to them. A day that gives singles a hope to find that love that makes them all warm and fuzzy inside. A day for people to reflect on the love that they’ve lost and the memories that they’ve made.

We will always have our memories but we won’t always have these moments to make memories. And so today, this day of love, I ask you to live. Live for the moment. Live for your dreams. Live for your future. JUST LIVE.

Happy Valentines Day!

2 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! I couldn't agree more! Love your Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed your link here from Facebook; I'm a fan of Jillian's too. I'm looking forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete